Sunday, July 4, 2010

Wining and dining

The third in a five-part series of free meals took bride-to-be cousin and I up into the mountains of Faqra, to People Restaurant at the Faraya Country Club. I'll admit that I was expecting a bit more from this Aishti-run restaurant. Perhaps it was the construction work happening next to it that took away from what should have been a calm, tranquil environment. The food, however, was delicious. Comfort food without any nick-nacks of fanciness. My beef fillet was perfectly medium done, and bride-to-be cousin couldn't stop raving about her penne with truffle oil and cep sauce. But it was the wine that had me most impressed - that and the rosemary and garlic pizza bread. A bottle of Capitel Croce 2002 by Italian winemaker Roberto Anselmi, regarded as one of Italy's leading white-wine producers. It's a 100% Garganega varietal, which is an Italian grape grown in the Veneto region of north-east Italy. I put my stamp of wine-loving approval on it. It's not every day that a white wine still makes you show a thumbs-up after eight years of maturity.

People restaurant at Faraya Country Club.

My beef fillet with yummy Bernaise sauce. And the delicious glass of Anselmi wine.

The 2006 version of the 2002 vintage we enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment